Okolie Says He Did Not Intentionally Take Any Banned Substance

Andrew Karlov May 18, 2026, 7:01 a.m.
Lawrence Okolie. Getty Images
Lawrence Okolie. Getty Images

"This is the worst thing that has happened to me in my entire life. It was unexpected and very unpleasant, although I have no doubt that the truth will eventually come out and I will be cleared. Now we just need to let the lawyers do their job," said Lawrence Okolie (23-1, 17 KOs).

The former cruiserweight and bridgerweight world champion was ranked No. 1 by the WBC at heavyweight, but shortly before his fight with Tony Yoka, it was announced that his doping sample had tested positive for a banned substance.

"I have been tested regularly since the Olympic Games, 10 years ago. I requested random VADA tests before the fight, and that proves that I did not knowingly take anything banned. This has cost me a lot of sleepless nights because if I had been caught cheating, I would have said, 'So be it.' And I know that I did not knowingly take anything banned. I will deal with this issue somehow. I am not going to cry over spilled milk, but I am not going to deny that this is a very difficult experience. The truth will come out in time. I hope, and even expect, to return to boxing soon. I want to get back in the ring as soon as possible," Okolie added.

Comments

var _paq = window._paq = window._paq || []; _paq.push(['trackPageView']); _paq.push(['enableLinkTracking']); (function() { var u="//mm.magnet.kiev.ua/"; _paq.push(['setTrackerUrl', u+'matomo.php']); _paq.push(['setSiteId', '1']); var d=document, g=d.createElement('script'), s=d.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; g.async=true; g.src=u+'matomo.js'; s.parentNode.insertBefore(g,s); })(); window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-DPZJLB78XY');